10 Things You Need To Know About Ram Nath Kovind – New President of India
MEET RAM NATH KOVIND – INDIA’s New President
1. Ram Nath Kovind was born on 1st october 1945 in a village called parukh, Kanpur, UP.
2. Ram Nath Kovind is the youngest of three brothers. After passing his 12th Grade from Kanpur’s BNSD college,
he completed his B.com from DAV Inter College and subsequently studied law from DAV law college
3. He appeared for the civil services exam, making it into the applied services section in his third attempt, but chose to do law instead, and the rest is history.
4. He was personal secretary to Prime Minister Morarji Desai in 1978. This started his journey into the political arena, even though he has largely kept a low profile.
5. Even though he lost the Lok Sabha election from BJP in 1990, he was nominated as a Member of Parliament from UP and served for a collective 12 years..
6. Ram Nath Kovind is the second Dalit President of India, the first being KR Narayanan. He beat another Dalit candidate Meira Kumar.
7. He was the Governor of Bihar from 2015-2017, and maybe that’s why he has the support of JDU leader Nitish Kumar as a presidential candidate..
8. He does not want you to waste time watching TV. As a parliamentarian he asked what steps were being taken to limit the number of movies being telecast because children were wasting their time doing all this. He doesn’t care much for the changes in chitrahaar either.
9. Ram Nath Kovind testified, vouching for then BJP party president Bangaru Laxman, when Laxman was facing corruption charges. Laxman was found guilty, and this has cast suspicion on Kovind’s testimony.
10. When leading the oath swearing ceremony, he corrected Tej Pratap (Lalu Prasad’s son) twice, as he fumbled, and made him take the oath again.